Saturday, October 15, 2011

Save Our Planet Saturday: Recycling vs. Upcycling

The words recycle and recycling have been around forever.  (Most) people know what they mean, recognize the symbol, and many people actually participate in this activity.  But the words upcycle and upcycling is not in the Webster dictionary, and it's not a common word that people understand let alone do.  So, what is the difference between recycling and upcycling?  I researched for a good way to define the words, but I decided that this diagram will describe it better:


One of the many things I am pinterested in are upcycling ideas and projects. I am awed by how many things you can make out of old window panes, crates, and pallets.  Some of them just make you go, "Now, why didn't I think of that?"  I just love this pallet garden.  It's a great way to upcycle an old pallet, be green, and utilize limited space - my type of project for every type of home!


If you have children, how can you not be tempted to create their own one-of-a-kind kitchen?


That's something to think about if you are out at garage sales or flea markets this weekend.  And one of my favorite projects I've found so far is creating new outfits and accessories from old clothes that I would have otherwise donated or sold in a garage sale.


The list is endless, and your imagination is without boundaries.  You can find tons of ideas online, so before you discard that old dresser, shirt, jar, or baby crib, do a search on what you can make it from it that you could possibly use in your home.  That's one less thing you'll be spending (more) money on than you would like, right?

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...