Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Waste Not Want Not

"Waste not want not." It's a quote I'm sure many of us have heard before but never really took to heart. It means "never wasting anything results in never wanting anything." For a few years now, my family has been pretty good about the 3 R's - reducing, reusing, recycling - and we even compost, and this has led us to not have an overflowing trash can at the end of the week. I remember times when I would see my husband literally in the trash bin jumping up and down trying to make room for more trash. He looked pretty silly doing it, and he would always come in saying, "how did we end up with so much garbage?" Truth is, we were pretty irresponsible in what we chose to consume and throw away. We just started having a family, and we weren't thinking about how we were truly living. Years later, I believe we have done a pretty good job of turning our life around.  And although we may be better at living a "waste-less" lifestyle than others, we definitely are no where near being as conscious as the family in this video.



Who would have thought you could reduce your waste to so little? Is it difficult to do? I'm sure it's easier said than done. We have reusable bags we take to the store, but we have yet to use those kinds of bags for produce and bread. We reuse glass jars for the kids' crafts and my husband's nails and screws in the garage, but we don't use them for meat and cheese. It is something for us to consider though. If they can do it, I'm sure we can, too. And it helps when a store can make it easy for you.

Recently, I found this article on a grocery store called in.gredients. Opening it's doors in Austin, Texas sometime in the fall, it'll be the first zero-packaging store in the United States. I live 3 hours away from Austin, so driving down there and wasting gas wouldn't be helping my mission, but I hope that it'll become very successful and that the concept will become nationwide. We need a little push in the right direction, and if we can't motivate ourselves to waste less, hopefully this store will.

Waste not want not. Four little words from way back when, yet they have come to mean so much in this day and age.

2 comments:

Brandi, Leslie and Amanda said...

I definitely want to cut down the waste around our house. I am always trying to find new ways to do it.. Sometimes I feel like I'm fighting against my husband a little bit. He's not the worst, most wasteful person, but he could be so much better!

Thanks for stopping by our blog, we are following you back now :)

Brandi from Three Fabulous Mommies

Villegas-Giron Fam said...

That is Amazing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...